Share on Tumblr

Search This Blog

Friday, April 3, 2015

Exploring Bohol in ONE Day!!! WARNING: LONG POST

I was really surprised during my visit. I didn’t think that I’d be experiencing a lot of things in Bohol. This visit was part of my 2015 Sinulog Festival participation. After the Sinulog grand parade, I was already preparing for sidetrips in Cebu. The day after the parade I was bound for Oslob, but I was informed that the travel time is approximately 4 hours and I might not (be allowed) see the whalesharks by the time I get there since they’ve implemented strict visiting/touring hours. So, scrubbed Oslob for now, there’s still Bantayan and Malapascua… my budget… I did some math and it would seem to be a waste if I only stayed for one night. Guess I’ll just have to visit again for a “strictly” Cebu only trip covering all 3 destinations.

I’m left with no choice, but to check my map and look for other places I can visit that won’t be eating so much of my time and budget BUT still getting the most out of the trip and enjoying it.  Well, Hello Bohol!


I’ve wanted to visit this place because of its heritage churches and the ever famous Chocolate hills (remembering my preschool years)


Two powerful natural disasters (7.2 magnitude earthquake and Typhoon Haiyan) struck the island province in 2013 that left major damage to properties, structures and its landscape and also left casualties. Very sad news I know, but knowing how Filipinos face challenges is something that makes this place still a must visit and tourism will help them move on and rebuild whatever was lost.

With that said, I’m off to Bohol!



I made a reservation with Oceanjet ferry for their earliest trip from Cebu City Pier 1 to Tagbilaran City, Bohol. I went for the open air seats since I’ll be traveling in the morning and I don’t mind the sun and sea breeze anyway. I enjoyed the 2 hour ferry ride, just ended up having my hair all messed up, frizzy and smelling like the sea. But again, I don’t mind. Just make sure to bring a cap/hat or just fix your hair once you arrive in Tagbilaran. I looked really horrible.

Prior to my arrival, I was in contact with Sir Bem, one of the tour operators in the island who offers reasonable tour rates.  Just let him know what time you’ll be arriving then you pick a tour package. I availed of the Bohol Countryside Tour B which include visits: Blood Compact Site – Baclayon Church (museum visit not included), Python Sanctuary, Loboc Tarsier, Loboc River Cruise and Floating Restaurant(buffet lunch) - Bilar Man-made forest – Butterfly Conservation Center – Batuan Shiphaus – Chocolate Hills – Souvenir Shop



The package also includes entrance fees, gas, air-conditioned vehicle with driver and buffet lunch at Loboc. They will also give you some welcome goodies upon your arrival (cold bottled water, peanut kisses and a tarsier keychain)



I was welcomed by “Kuya”. I can’t remember his name coz of the excitement to explore the province and I really wanted to get in the car since the sun was already up and I feel all icky… I needed some freshening up. Kuya handed the goodies immediately but it wasn’t enough, I had to clean myself for the days’ selfies.

 I asked Kuya for the nearest stop and he drove to the Shell Gas station. And that was the first shocker that day, the gas stations’ toilet didn’t look like one at all. As I opened the door, I was taken aback and had to go for a second look to see if it’s a VIP lounge or something, but yeah it was the gas stations’ toilet that smells amazing!!!  It looked like a room, looked way better than any room I’ve seen!!! Hence, my first ever selfie in Bohol… inside a luxurious toilet.

Shell Gas Station











I was so careful not to hit anything inside, well maintained I must say. Everything looks really classy and I didn't want to break something expensive. It even has its own bookshelf/magazine rack, books to read when you get summoned and it has telephone… a Telephone!!! Miniature arts and crafts and some really nice paintings. And oh, WI-FI and to add to its appeal was it's classical background music!!!

 I am a master of using dark and not so clean dungeons but this one just made me realize how ugly my entire room was… shame on me. I may have used about 100mb for photos.

The toilet got me all excited… I mean excited to start the whole day tour. I was briefed by Kuya… LOL. Anyway, he informed me that the tour normally takes 7-8 hours depending on how long I’ll be staying per site. Since I’ve spent almost 30 mins in the toilet, I needed to really maximize the time I have left.


Blood Compact Site



First stop, Blood Compact Site. It commemorates the first treaty of friendship between the white and brown race. It’s said that a conquistador and a local chieftain drank wine mixed with blood… nuff said. Thus the Blood Compact was set. Not much to see, but statues and souvenir stores.


Baclayon Church



2nd stop which is along the tour route is the Baclayon Church. It’s one of the oldest stone churches built back in the 16th century. The museum has religious relics and cultural artifacts as well. Entrance to the museum is P50, not included in the package. Kuya also pointed the wall area where you will see the face of Padre Pio… gave me goosebumps when I saw the image close to where part of the church was ruined by the quake. Major goosebumps I tell you! He’s like staring at you so make sure you offer prayers when you visit.




Python Sanctuary

Prony the preserved Python
 3rd stop and I was starting to feel my stomach grumble… The Python Sanctuary. This is where you’ll get to see and take pictures of the largest python in captivity. The pythons’ name is Prony, a 25-feet long reptile in the town of Baclayon. I actually saw 3 large pythons, 1 taxidermed/stuffed python and 2 chunky and heavy live captive pythons. They are all huge!!!  

I think he's saying hello to me... 




This one looks hungry...
Aside from the snakes, they have a mini zoo with big and small captive birds, small reptiles and cute Civet cats.

Civet Cat... Musang or Alamid. Try drinking coffee made from Musang poop. It's delicious




You can touch and have selfies with the snakes as they are harmless according to the female owner. She will also offer to take the photos for you if you brought your own camera. You are also given the option to purchase the photos she took using her camera, you can have it printed or they can just forward it directly to your social media account. Make sure to save the photos immediately once they send it to your account, coz a few minutes after posting they will delete the photos from theirs. I wasn’t able to save any! Glad I have my camera!!!  P200 if you ask to forward ALL the photos and P150 if you ask for ONE photo printed.

The P150 photo print.. this guys is not Prony. 



Loboc River Cruise and Floating Restaurant



4th stop was supposed to be the Loboc Tarsier Sanctuary, but I was really starving so I asked Kuya if we could go for the River cruise and restaurant first then visit the tarsier after. He agreed.


This part of the tour is a major attraction…duh, coz there's FOOD!!! This is the place where you get to meet other tourists and travelers in Bohol. Aside from the food and chit chat the meandering river plays host for guests to board small bancas/outriggers and a large floating restaurant called the Pawikan.




They offer 2 sets of buffet menu, The Regular Buffet and the Pawikan Buffet both offering Filipino cuisine buffet and local delicacies. Difference? You dine and cruise in a small floating resto while the Pawikan  buffet guests dine and cruise in a bigger floating resto with more food choices. 





Eat while the restaurant is still in its steady state because once the restaurant starts its cruise, well goodluck happy tummy. The floating resto can accommodate up to 50 people with a platform on top of two joined large outrigger boats.



I will also suggest that you bring water with you, because they don’t have service water only bottled water and softdrinks(smallest bottle) which costs P30. Don’t forget your hand sanitizers as well.. 


Loboc Tarsier Sanctuary


5th stop, Loboc Tarsier Sanctuary. This is one of the reasons for my visit to Bohol, to see the smallest primate in the world. It is an endangered species and it’s really good to know that the province made efforts to care for them.





They are nocturnal cuties so expect to see that they are at rest while they safely cling to the branches. From time to time though they open their large eyes, and be ready you’re your camera to capture that moment. NO TOUCHING and NO FLASH please. You don’t wanna startle and scare these babies. SOOO CUTE!!! 







Bilar Man-Made Forest


 6th stop, just a few minutes drive from the sanctuary is the Bilar Man-made forest. Creepy since Kuya stopped the car as soon as we entered the road stretched with dense forest after going up a hilly road. I wasn’t moving. I was getting myself ready for an assault. He looked at me and slowly said with his husky macho voice, “What are you waiting for… ” LOL

My ride and Kuya
He didn’t really say that, but I felt a bit nervous when he just suddenly parked the car with no one else around, no establishments, just tall dark mahogany trees in Bilar town. I immediately noticed that we are now inside the forest because the road and surroundings became darker and you get that chilly feeling... spooky. Felt as if I was part of the Twilight movie… well, more like The Walking Dead.




The forest was part of a reforestation project created in response to the alarming deforestation in the Loboc watershed. This is a must visit as well, if you want to have those dramatic shots. Emo mode? No problem, best spot for you.

The drama shot...


Butterfly Conservation Center


7th stop which is home to hundreds of preserved and live butterflies, the Butterfly Conservation center gives you a glimpse of the country’s diverse butterfly and moth species. 



I’m not really a fan of insects but of course I’m there to appreciate flora and fauna, so I tried my best to pay attention to what the guide was telling the tourists. 



He will inform you of the different stages of a butterfly’s development… I love the metamorphosis part. It was a unique experience because I never thought I’d be able to play and see butterflies that close.



Batuan Shiphaus




And we have the 2nd to the last stop of the tour, a visit to the Batuan Shiphaus. This is the point where I can already feel my flesh tremble,  yes, I’m exhausted. Good thing when I entered the house designed to look like a real ship, they have a cozy couch. I needed that back stretch and leg room.



What’s a ship without a captain? I don’t know either, but the owner of this house is a real ship captain. 

Yup, that's the Shiphaus guide doing a selfie! 


The guide explained that it was really just a regular home for the captain and his family until tourists came flocking and wanted to view the rest of the house. It was also featured in local tv shows in the Philippines and eventually became a tourist spot.





The employees are dressed like the crew of a ship. The shiphaus guide was quite funny during the tour since he was acting Captain as if we were really on board a ship and I was his slave crew boy giving me orders. LOL


Chocolate Hills


And here we are, finally! The world-famous Chocolate Hills!!! I’d like to give a shoutout to my elementary teachers for making me believe that the hills are made up of real chocolate with chocolate trees, chocolate animals and chocolate people! Chocolate people?! Really?!



Anyway, this amazing landscape was Bohol's famous tourism symbol long before the cute Tarsiers. It is still an unexplained geological formation of rolling haycock hills/mounds of almost conical shape. They are scattered by the hundreds throughout the towns of Carmen, Batuan and Sagbayan.






So to explain the chocolatey-ness of the hills, during the dry season, the grass covered hills dry up and turn chocolate brown/light brown. Thus it transforms into the area of seemingly endless rows of the branded confection, Chocolate Kisses. And so the Philippines present to you the Chocolate Hills.

Four legends explain the formation of the hills. Something about warrior giants, tears of sorrow and 2 stories of feces… yes, Fecal matter covered the plains and not Chocolate. LOL 

This definitely is  must visit. There are other viewing decks but this one in Carmen offers the best view. Just the right ending for the all day tour. Climb up to the top and view the hills while breathing fresh air. It rained that time so everything looks lush and fresh. It was really an amazing sight and experience.

So if you guys want to take this tour, just tell them that you'd like to book for the Bohol Countryside Tour package. The rates vary but are almost the same with the other tour operators, it's all up to you who to pick. But if you want to have the same tour operator, please do visit his website: Bohol Tours

Here's a Batuan Shiphaus selfie! :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi, planning to visit bohol soon.. may i know how much is your total expenses for this day trip? I mean for car rental with driver for solo traveller. Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you will have to spend a bit more if that'll be the case. I did this bohol tour with my partner, we spent about Php 2,700 each. So contact a tour agency in bohol that can give you a reasonable rate for your solo travel.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Travel & Leisure - Top Blogs Philippines