Share on Tumblr

Search This Blog

Friday, May 3, 2013

My Voyage of Self-Discovery: Traveling "Sole-oh" Solo

Traveling on your own? You’re more likely to be on a voyage of self-discovery!

I've been deliberately traveling solo because I want to experience the wonders that our country has without the influence of a friend or partner’s tastes, prejudices, or preferences. The independence gained by going to places alone allows me to experience my destination exactly the way I want. No compromises. Some may find this post boring or it may feel like I'm singing the blues... but here it goes anyway. :)

I started doing this solo backpacking thing in late 2012 after a spine-chilling, demoralizing, blood curdling and nightmarish breakup (O.A... But I've moved on okay... ha ha). Anyway, that's how some things go. I've traveled with this person several times. During our first few trips, things we're going nice, from the airport departure to our arrival. But towards the middle of our trip, during random discussions, we start debating on some faults along the way. We start squabbling at small things and just verbally hammer it away.

It was quite alarming because it routinely went on everytime we go to places together. Trying to talk out the problem wasn't always the solution, it weirdly summons new things to argue about. I guess I'm straying away from the topic (This wasn't the reason for the breakup fyi)... but anyhow, my point is, it's no longer healthy, our trips went really ugly and we can't make the most out of it.

Perks: Become friends with the boatmen and get some sort of discount! Asked one of the boatmen to take my photo
Traveling should be fun, relaxing and stress free at most. In my case before, it's so like night and day. Traveling should feel like "The Life You've Always Wanted". And since I still have a reasonable amount of control over the circumstances in my life, I should do what still matters.

Dine alone.... Perk: Eat anything and everything at your own pace! 
So, do I stop traveling because I don't have a travel partner? The answer is obviously, NO. I won't let unpleasant events in my life get in the way and crush my dreams seeing the rest of my country and the world. I want to experience the world for all it's worth. Become a person of culture, adventure and compassion even if it means doing it all by myself. Traveling solo also makes me feel more connected with nature and my roots in a deep and lasting way.  

Take a photo of yourself inside a crowded beach bar... Ironic.
Capture that festive moment! LOL 

It is not about being a tourist why I want to travel. It's about experiencing true risk and adventure so I won't have to live in fear even when I go places by myself. What I like about it as well is that my experiences never gets diluted when I travel solo. I can go when and where I want to. I get the full impact of the problems, risks as well as the pleasures. Solo traveling is definitely the perfect situation to anyone who thrives for potent travel adventures.

Snorkeling alone... No fun at all. 
Yet, for me, and let me just reiterate, that traveling solo doesn't mean being completely alone. Meeting new people along the way has got to be one of the ultimate joys of the journey. So while I relish my single status, I still try to make connections on route.

Perk: Who knows? You might just meet your new travel mate! Hi There! LOL 

Perk: Room is all yours!!! Weee!
Lastly, and if I must say, that when you get older, life seems to just sort of happen. Our youth is a time of total empowerment. You get to do what you want. But as you mature and gain new responsibilities, you have to be very intentional about making sure you don’t lose sight of the important things. Give yourself opportunities to grow. One good way to do that is to travel, with or without someone.

Self-pic... No one to take a photo of your new tattoo and ask if you got a nice tan . Perk: Sunbathing... unlimited!
I'm getting really blazed and weighty with this post. Well, to top it all off, traveling solo allows time for introspection, relaxation and self-discovery. It's something like meditation, but with food, drinks, amazing scenery and opportunity to meet new people. Take note though that single traveling has its perils too -- such as safety concerns "know your demons", loneliness and the dreaded single supplement. But of course, preparation and a lot of common sense can save you money and get through the rough spots.

Perks: Meet friends and other backpackers and get to learn some other language!

I'd love to hear how your first solo travel went! Goodluck and Enjoy! :)

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Travel & Leisure - Top Blogs Philippines