Share on Tumblr

Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

A Zippy Visit to the Archaic Age: Guisi Lighthouse

During my week-long Dinagyang trip, part of my itinerary was to visit Isla de Gigantes in Carles, Iloilo after the festival but due to sad events recently caused by typhoon Haiyan aka Yolanda, I was being cast down to pay a visit. So where to go? Asked some locals and was apprised to just visit Guimaras and go to Guisi or Alubihod beach.

Guisi? I say. That sounds new to me. Took out one of my travel buddies -- ever reliable Ipad named "Caleb" and googled "Guisi". Before I even clicked enter, Caleb's search suggestions revealed "guisi lighthouse" and "guisi beach guimaras". Thus commence my Guimaras-Guisi trip.[...]
When you're already in Iloilo, take a jeepney, trisikad or a cab that will take you to either Parola or Ortiz wharf that'll take you to the island of Guimaras via pumpboats. The entry point I took was the Buenavista port from Parola wharf which took less than 15 minutes. The public boat ride costs P15.00 one way. The other point of entry is the Ortiz wharf heading to Jordan wharf.


Once you're on the island you can have yourself arranged with a tricycle/multicab tour (they will charge P700-P1000 in Buenavista and P500-P800 in Jordan, quite expensive when you're alone, so try to haggle and ask for a cheaper rate or talk to the tourism officer) or take a jeepney at the Jordan exit with a "Nueva Valencia" sign (it's the cheapest option but was unfortunate on my arrival as I didn't see jeepneys ply Buenavista going to Nueva Valencia)



*** Tricycle/Multicabs charge P500-P1000, the price is okay if you travel with a group. And you'll be taken directly to your chosen destination
*** Jeepney - cheapest way to get to Nueva Valencia, P40/person. Sit and mingle with locals and other travelers but make sure that your baggage won't eat up the space inside the vehicle and with bumpy parts of the road that you don't pound fellow passengers with your carry ons.
*** Touts will crowd you on your arrival, so just ignore or tell them immediately that you're taking the jeepney.




Left my stuff and asked the driver to guard my stuff. A short trek and there's that welcome sign. There is a P10.00 entrance fee and a need to register when you visit the lighthouse for it's maintenance (hmmm, not so sure...) and security. The tower is the second oldest lighthouse in the Philippines from 18th century Spanish ruins which served as navigational aid to sailors and fishermen cruising this strait.




Upon entry you'll still see evidence of Spanish settlement and of course the view of the old lighthouse from afar. Up-close, the lighthouse looked all rickety and battered for the years that it's been there but still has that magnificence. Noticing the signage - though I don't understand what's exactly written, it only says "it's unsafe to climb".

Well, it's a rusty tower and the stairs seem to be intact, open to public and my driver or a guide ain't there to stop me. Sneaked my way up the tower. Though I knew beforehand that a few tourists have advanced and took pictures on top, so it already gave me the impression that it's fine to climb. Just watch your every step because it's an old spiral staircase and each step narrows.


My jaw dropped on my ascend atop the lighthouse. An amazing 360-degree view of this part of Nueva Valencia. Blown away by it's panoramic view, I immediately took photos! Don't be too excited taking photos or do some risky posing, because there's nothing to hold on to! My knees were shaking as I was doing my shots because of the morning breeze and gusts of wind. Feeling that any moment, I'll be tossed and go plunge somewhere.


And have I not mentioned a new lighthouse? Yes, there is a new tower just a few meters away from the old one - guess that's where all the funds are going, because it looks well maintained, secure and really modern. I didn't get the chance to explore it coz it seem off limits.



The Guisi lighthouse has not been preserved well as you can see and it's more like a do-it-yourself research or storytelling here since there's no information or desk area that can tell you about its real story (Maybe there is, but hidden somewhere during my visit or personnel weren't in the mood to entertain me). No offense to the person managing/guarding the place, but it would be nice if they could be more proactive in guiding and assisting tourists. I mean, it's not really that big of a place to play host to their guests.




Worth a visit if you're really into discovering the country and its history and also if you're fond of lighthouses or charmed by antiquated structures.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Travel & Leisure - Top Blogs Philippines