Share on Tumblr

Search This Blog

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Sand Bar Island Beach, Concepcion, Iloilo 2013 - with Travel Guide

Attempting to do a handstand... 10 sec self timer... Goodluck to me!

A very peaceful and quiet island, now a popular destination when visiting Iloilo. Guimaras may be a good option when you're just around the city. But in Bulubadiangan, Concepcion, there's this island with pristine waters on both sides of a shifting sand bar, tourists, foreign and local, now trying to add this location as part of their itinerary when going to Iloilo. Just about any non-motorized water activity can be done here... like handstands and cartwheels, hehe

I went here as part of my Dinagyang Festival 2013 visit. At first, I really wasn't sure if this was something I could squeeze into my itinerary since my flight was RE-scheduled to 5:50am going back to Manila, a day after the festival. So I was already thinking of just going to Guimaras instead since my hotel was just near the port. Decision making is something I'm not good at, it makes me crazy! Of course, you would have to think of the amount of time left before leaving a certain place, the things you need to bring, the weather, duration of the trip going to the place, mode of transportation, money and FLIGHT SCHEDULES. There are a lot of things to consider when you plan to travel to a place you're not that familiar. You have to be EXTRA careful with such decisions, what I mean by extra is that you have to bring not what's enough, but you need to bring what's sufficient if something comes up and you need that EXTRA (money, clothes, food etc.)

After the Dinagyang 2013 competition which I think ended at around 1pm, I had lunch, went back to my hotel and was thinking of already packing my stuff then head to Guimaras. I then remember telling my friends that I will be going to Concepcion to visit the island. They were all excited for me, already asking me to take really nice shots of the island and get updated information on the rates and stuff so they could also plan their trip there. I just feel so obliged at the same time privileged to be asked of this favor. I mean I don't just want to share with them my experience, I want them to actually experience it... I'm like a travel guinea pig! ha ha

Looks like I really have no choice but to push through with this trip. Though this was part of my plan initially, I also had to consider the surprises of my flight schedule (FYi: Manila-Cebu: Re-scheduled, Cebu-Iloilo: delayed for 2 hours, Iloilo-Manila: Re-scheduled!!!). No turning back... I decided to call Mr. Sonny Eusala at 4:00am, after 2 failed attempts, I told myself that the trip to Sand Bar wasn't meant to happen this January... but then... I called again! I really wanted to go so I tried my 3rd and final call... fingers crossed.... his wife answered and got myself a deal. Packed and went straight to the terminal! So there you go, nuff of my blabbing... Time for viewing! Enjoy!

around 6:00am in Tagbak Terminal, Iloilo... waiting for the bus's departure.

How to get there... follow these easy steps:

-Contact Mr. Sonny Eusala first and get a reservation/check availability of cottages.

-From the airport or wherever you are in Iloilo City, take a cab (most convenient transpo there), and tell the cab driver to take you to the Tagbak Terminal in Jaro.

-From Tagbak the ride's almost 3 hours (that's without any traffic).

-Don't be confused and don't panic, coz on your way, you'll see a signage saying SARA (Left) and CONCEPCION (Right)... The bus will turn left to Sara first then will manuever back towards Concepcion's route. So just relax.

-The bus will drop you at Concepcion's HPQ Terminal near the Tourism office.

-Mang Sonny will ask you to head to the wet market (It's just 1 block away from the tourism office and it's the only wet market there.)

-Shop for food and supplies while waiting for the boatmen to fetch you from the market. 

- Once you've met the boatmen, it's time to board the boat and take photos


HPQ bus bound to Concepcion. Fare as of January 2013: P120, 1st trip is at 6:30am
after an hour's bus ride...

Road to Concepcion... the ride was at least 2 hours and 45 minutes btw... so be ready! 

Short stop over... I think it was for just 5 mins.
Finally! A restroom after 2 hours!!! I'm saved!
Yes! I'm here. 
OMG!!! Fresh seafood!!! 
I know what you're thinking... And the answer is YES. 
You need to buy the things you need here before getting on the boat. There is a store (take note: store not stores) on the island, but of course they may not have all the things you need. Don't forget to bring drinking water.
Buy cooked/canned food or buy fresh ingredients if you want to have your food cooked on the island.   
 Mang Sonny is the owner of the island and is very much willing to cook your food, of course with a fee of P100. Not bad if you want real food on the island instead of the canned ones. But please consider the food you'd like to be cooked, Mang Sonny's not a chef to make gourmet meals for you. Go for easy to cook  meals, unless you'll do the cooking. Though he did mention that he's okay with Sinigang and Adobo. Again, make sure you have all the ingredients before boarding the boat. 
Quiet port behind Concepcion's wet market... while waiting for the boatman.
Behind the wet market... view of the port... Yosi yosi muna. :)
Now boarding... but this is not my boat. :)
View of the port on the boat.

Traveling solo is okay... but not fun at all if you're going to a nice beach. 
One of Queenie's(name of the boat) boatmen
the other boatman who fetched me. I'm sorry I cant seem to recall their name's coz of the excitement.  Next time! 
Push push push... 
Push it... Let's go!!! weee
Cruising... the boat ride's just 20mins. 
Boatmen of SS Queenie... I'm really really sorry I cant remember your names.  huhuhu.
No fun at all... Loner mode...
Loner mode din si kuya... 
Approaching... Sand Bar Island Beach... Pak na pak!!!

The island... the cottage... the beach.... myself... The island's all mine!!!  Woohoo! Not so sad at all!  
Kuya, pa-picture naman ako... hehehe 
What did I tell you! I'm the only guest that day!!! So amazing! This is the best cottage spot.  
Full view of the sand bar from the cottage. Love love love!
Trying to be artistic... instagram! :)
So relaxing... so maarte... LOL
If you want full view of the sand bar and neighboring islands... this first open  cottage is the best... 
Instabeach! Enjoy!
How much did I spend? Best to go there with a group if you're on a tight budget or to have someone share with the expenses. And make sure to contact Mr. Sonny Eusala first at this number 09068197516 for cottage/boat availability.

RATES as of January 2013  
Cab from Hotel (Harbor): P150.00
HPQ Bus fare to Concepcion: P120.00
Restroom donation: P10.00
Wet Market Food and Water/Drinks: P200.00
Boat Rent from Concepcion-Sand Bar Island(vice-versa): P1500.00 - call Mang Sonny first to negotiate for the rent.
Entrance/Environment fee: P25.00
Paluto: P100
Small Open Cottage: Day rent- P300, Overnight- P800

I spent almost P2,500!!! Not bad huh?!

***IMPORTANT***

-Last trip of HPQ Bus from Concepcion to Iloilo is 3:00pm. Still with the same bus fare. In case you missed it, well, there's still a way... Habal-Habal your way from Concepcion to Ajuy's Bus stop. When I timed it, the ride was about 30mins from Concepcion (YES! I missed the last trip of HPQ!)

So I waited for the Ceres Bus from Ajuy going to Iloilo and the last trip of that bus is 6:00pm (yeah, I got the last trip for this one). If you're an adrenaline junkie and you want to see rice paddies in Iloilo while your hair gets blown to different directions coz there's no helmet... you may always opt for the habal-habal. harharhar.

If you still want to go exploring and visit the neighboring islands, they also offer island hopping tours that you may avail starting at P2000.00. As much as I would like to go Dora-the-Explorer mode, I can't coz I'm just pressed for time. I'd rather relax before my flight the next morning.

You may want to check Maribeth's blog SITE for more details on the Island Hopping tour. Kudo's to life-trotting.com's updated travel guide. ENJOY YA'LL!!!
Ah yeah! Handstand success! Just not so sure with the weather... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Travel & Leisure - Top Blogs Philippines